After the tragic death of Michael Jackson, thousands of fans decided to honor him through imitation. Tribute artists all over the world are suiting up to honor the memory of Michael and to keep the spirit of his music alive for years to come.
Need More? Visit our complete guide to Costume How-To's and Ideas.
Make your own Michael Jackson costume this Halloween season and show off your best moves.
1. The Hair
How do you get all your hair up in that wig? Check out How to Wear a Halloween Wig.
If you've already go your own ebony strands, use a curling iron to achieve a plethora of dangling curls. Spray liberally with hairspray and gel up the front in a slight left-side part.
2. The Glove
- Buy a 1/4 yard of glittering silver fabric and make a single glove using one of these free glove tutorials. Gloves are easier to make than you think.
- Buy a pair of white gloves from the store and simply paint one of the gloves with silvery glitter. This makes for a stiff glove when the paint dries, but it's a quick solution to a gloveless hand.
3. The Jacket
Suit jackets are easy to find at any local thrift store. Find one that isn't too big and top it off with a cloth cuff on the upper right arm. The cuff can be made out of just about anything- from a fabric scrap to a scarf.
4. Skinny Pants
If you're wearing a light-colored jacket, dark pants will work. Either match the jacket impeccably or go for full contrast. You can even make your own pants for the perfect fit and color.
5. Aviator Glasses and a Sash
The Sash: A simple red sash can be Michael-ified by bedazzling it with sequins and glitter. Wear it over the jacket.
6. Shiny Shoes
7. The Face
- Eyes: Dark eyeliner at the corner of the eyes and a dark mascara on the lashes.
- Face: MJ waas never shy about the blush. Just a sweep of peach or light pink blush on the cheeks.
- Lips: Like it or not, Michael wore lipstick later in life. A rosy red lip liner will give the right effect without being too shiny. Line the lips, then fill in with the liner. It will also last longer than lipstick.
8. Just Dress like a 30's Gangster
The hat, suit, tie and shoes that Michael adored are all elements of sharp dressers in the 30's. Build your own zoot suit with the elements mentioned above, or get a cheap gangster costume at a local Halloween store.
9. The Attitude
- The high-pitched voice.
- Practice your moonwalk and crotch-grabbing tiptoe moves.
- Work song titles into conversation. "We're late for the party. Let's 'Beat It'." Here's some Top Ten Michael Jackson songs to choose from.
- Mention Janet, Tito, and the rest of the Jacksons. Remember that time you all sang at the Apollo?
- Check out a Michael Jackson biography for more tidbits.
- Steer clear of mentioning his controversies so everyone can enjoy your accurate Michael persona. If you are playing the Thriller role, try to honor his performance, and refrain from references about MJ having passed on. It's just not in good taste.
10. Thriller Costume
Add the characteristic V-shaped accent to the jacket by using a couple strips of black cloth. Stretch the cloth from the middle front of the outfit to the middle back of the outfit. To hold them in place, use safety pins at the shoulders and where the strips meet at the front and back of the jacket.
For the makeup, use this zombie makeup tutorial.
This year, Thriller costumes are being made to appease fan requests. Make this costume look authentic without going overboard by only buying the Thriller jacket (Compare prices), then create the rest of the costume yourself.