Link to your site:
What I Made
I made a pair of white feather earrings
How I Made it
What it took to make the pair of earrings is a basic jewelry tool set cost about $10.00 at stores like Micheal's. Very thin chains. I re-used chains from other broken jewelry. Or, you can purchase the chains from a retail shop. Or, you can buy a necklace from a second hand shop and re-use the chain. I purchased the thin silver wire, beads, earring hook posts, small silver clips and commercial feathers. Scissors. So, you will need:
Basic jewelry tool set
Wire (thin, silver) or whatever color you desire
Beads (the variety sack)
- Earring posts (I use the hooks)
- Feathers (I used white fake feathers)
- Scissors (sharp enough to cut thin paper)
- Silver clasps (I'm not sure what this jewelry finding is called, but they help hold the feathers together and has a whole in the top so that the feathers then can be attached to the chain. Most people who work in the jewelry and crafts stores knows what you are looking for when you describe your project) You can also attache the feathers using wire, but that technique doesn't look as clean.
- Plastic butter knife.
- One Earring.
Using the dull side of a plastic butter knife comb the hair of the feathers in order to help prepare and shape. Now the edges of the feathers are ready to be cut, trimmed, and formed. If your not sure how to treat and cut feathers for crafts serf the net, or this site on How to cut feathers.
Then place the feathers into the arms of the Silver metal Clasps and using pliers squeeze the arms tightly around the ends of the feather.
The wire is used to create loops that will help attach the Silver metal Clasps ring. You can also buy the wire loops ready-made. I usually guess at the inches to make a needed hoop. You may have to also, but if you start off with a small piece of wire about the length of the tip of your baby-finger you can always cut more if need be. The pliers to help form small loop. Best to use wire pliers cutter to cut wire.
Now attach feathers to chain. Attach post. Apply beads onto the loop wire and add them. the problem my arise with equal length for a set. Solve: count space placement and length.
Tips and Tricks
- Serf the Net using "jewelry making"
- Buy a pair of in expensive feather earrings that you like and try to remake them
- Invest in a basic jewelry took kit
Rain Blanken, DIY Fashion Guide, says:These are really cute and they sound pretty easy to make. I have to try this.
Show off your handmade creations. You could be featured on the DIY Fashion blog, in our newsletter and all the social media in between. I love to get the word out about great handmade work. Submit your Creation...