- Have a pair of 'lucky socks'? This is a great way to keep them in circulation.
- Use this method for worn out slipper socks, too.
- Use a cooler yarn color than the weird orange we have here. Match the yarn to something on the cuff of the sock for a funky purposeful look.
- Make a cute basket for socks-to-be-darned that you can throw socks in as you notice they have holes in them.
- This is a great couch activity. Once your darning basket is full of holey socks, plop down in front of the TV and get to work.
- You may be surprised, but sock darning is one of the most thoughtful things you can do for someone. People get attached to decorative, comfy socks. Noticing and fixing such a small detail in their lives can be a very intimate gift.
- If you really get into darning, it's nice to have a quality darning egg to accompany all that time you spend stitching. Find a darning egg online, or try searching for handmade eggs at Etsy.
Have you patched up your socks? We'd love to see your handiwork. Upload a photo and let us in on your tips.
Easy Bags, Hats, Scarves and More:
4 Ways to Tie a Tie . Make Glittery Heels . 5 Placemat Purses . Cassette Tape Wallet . Duct Tape Wallet . How-To Bags . Finger Knit a Scarf . Gloves and Wristbands . Easy Zippered Change Purse
Please Note: Photographs, patterns and illustrations contained in this article are copyrighted ©Rain Blanken and Getty Images, and licensed to About.com, Inc. Do not redistribute these photographs or illustrations in any form.