The best thing about Mardi Gras is the costumes and masks. It's like the hardcore Halloween that works to sweep away the Winter blues in a flurry on confetti and brass horns.
4. Paint the Mask
Here are some painting ideas:
- Try a purple, green and yellow combination to represent the traditional Mardi Gras colors.
- Work in some metallic paints for an old-fashioned look.
- Paint a jester-style diamond pattern as shown.
- Paint around the eyes and mouth to emphasize. You can paint lips or eyelashes.
- Go with an animal theme, painting on whiskers and fur.
- Use a free printable shape stencil to help paint on colorful shapes.
Here are some glitter ideas:
- Make swirls of glue on the cheeks of your mask and coat with glitter.
- Trace around the eyes with multicolored glitter.
- Create sweeping eyelashes with lines of glitter.
- Add a glue-glitter mix to a paintbrush and paint glittery shapes.
- Put glitter only on top of on paint color, such as yellow.
Once your mask is complete, you can can pick up a few of these cheap masks and talk your friends into dressing up, too.
Easy Bags, Hats, Scarves and More:
4 Ways to Tie a Tie . Make Glittery Heels . 5 Placemat Purses . Cassette Tape Wallet . Duct Tape Wallet . How-To Bags . Finger Knit a Scarf . Gloves and Wristbands . Easy Zippered Change Purse
Please Note: Photographs, patterns and illustrations contained in this article are copyrighted ©Rain Blanken and Getty Images, and licensed to About.com, Inc. Do not redistribute these photographs or illustrations in any form.