What You’ll Need:
- A medium-size garment for dying
- A hot pot of coffee
- 1 cup of vinegar for soaking animal fibers like wool, cashmere- and nylon. [list of animal fibers]
- 1 cup soda ash for pre-soaking plant fibers like cotton, linen, rayon - and silk. [list of plant fibers]
- A large spoon – A wooden spoon works well
- A storage tub or large bowl - this needs to be small enough that the coffee will cover the clothing, but large enough so that the clothing is not cramped.
Note that coffee will work well to permanently stain animal fibers such as wool, but on cotton pants like these (cotton is a plant fiber), our color is going to fade over time. Decide what kind of material you would like to use for a pure brown or fading antique look.
Once you have all your supplies, we can brew the coffee.