A sarong is usually 45" wide and 66" long. You could also go with a sari length, which is 47" wide and 6 yards long. Sarongs are great for simple skirts and dresses, while a sari length can be pleated many times for a more elegant look. Decide which style you want to go with before heading to the fabric store. A wrap is simply raw fabric, so once you purchase a thin material, you're ready to wrap.
Wraps can be tied in a multitude of ways, making everything from off-the-shoulder gowns to elegant tops.
- This video from Pareo will show you 20 ways to tie a sarong. That's quite a few outfits from one piece of cloth.
- Sarong cape, tube dress and skirt instructions from Girlfriend Getaways.
- My Ties will show you a few ways to tie sarong dresses and skirts.
- Sari wraps are typically 47" across and 6 yards long. They also carry a lot of tradition with them. Traditional Sari Wrapping From our Guide to Hinduism, learn how drape a sari in the traditional Hindu style...even what to wear under it.
- Runway Examples of this Look:
- Monique Lhuillier Drapery Dresses
- Emmanuel Ungaro White Minidress
- Emilio Pucci Patterned Wrap Top
- Parah Noir Flowing Beach Wrap
- Emilio Pucci Creamy Salmon Dress
- Emilio Pucci Patterned Dress
- BCBG Watercolor Chiffon
- BCBG White Jersey Dress
- Jason Wu Strapless Dress
- BCBG Hot Wrap Dress
Easy Clothes to Make:
How-To Pants . How-To Skirts . How-To Dresses . Recycle Your Clothes . 10 Clothing Repairs You Should Know . Beginner Sewing Projects . T-Shirt Surgery . Stencils Library . Top 10 Hippie Clothes . Punk Clothes to Make