Here are some free patterns, as well as inexpensive patterns created by yarn artists that know how to spin a cute animal hat.
Easy Sewing Patterns for Animal Hats
- Free: Step-by-Step Animal Hat Tutorial - This pattern-free method can be used to make any kind of cute fleece animal hat.
- Animal Ears Fleece hat Pattern from Diva Patterns: $8.00
- Infant Animal Hats from Clotide: $7.98
- Childs Fleece Animal Hat sewing pattern from tiedyediva on Etsy: $8.00
- Froggy Hat knitting pattern from Patti Pierce Stone (PDF)
- Just Ducky Hat knitting pattern from Patti Pierce Stone (PDF)
- Lady Bug Hat knitting pattern from Beth Koskie
- Penguin Pal knitting pattern from TLC
- Bunny Hat knitting pattern from Sherrin Thomsin
- Baby Ladybug Hat crochet pattern from Care Wear Patterns
- Bear Beanie from Beverly A. Qualheim
- Baby Frog crochet pattern from Coats and Clark
- Snowman crochet pattern (okay, not an animal, but a creature, maybe?)
- Child's Reindeer Hat from Crochet Me
Inexpensive Crochet Animal Hat Patterns for Adults
Crochet hats are quick and easy to make, even for someone who is new to the art. If you need a hat for a quick gift, these are a great option. Here are some original patterns from crochet designers.
- Koala Earflap Crochet Pattern from adrienneengar on Etsy: $4.99
- Fox Ears Hat Pattern from giggles on Etsy: $5.00
- Penguin Crochet Earflap Pattern from giggles on Etsy: $5.00
- Bear Ear Hat from AlenasDesign on Etsy: $6.50
- Minnie Mouse Beanie from HooksandHalos: $5.00
- Teddy Bear Earflap Hat (all sizes) from Desert Diamond Crochet: $5.95
- Penguin Hat (all sizes) from Desert Diamond Crochet on Artfire: $5.95
- Panda Hat Pattern (all sizes) from Desert Diamond Crochet of Artfire: $5.95
If crochet for adults is quick, you can guess that little hats for the kids are even faster. You'll have plenty of time for additional touches like button noses, ribbon bows on the ear, or even a bit of spray fabric glitter to create a fancy creature.
- Skunk Earflap Hat pattern from Inner Hooker on Artfire: $3.99
- Hello Kitty Toddler Hat Pattern from Lissa on Etsy: $4.99
- Black Mouse Ears for Infants from HipChickCrochet on Etsy: $4.00
- Newborn Chunky Bear Hat pattern from PDDesigns on Artfire: $4.95
- Rabbit Hat Pattern from Inner Hooker on Artfire: $3.99
- Snow White Bear Hat from AlenasDesign on Etsy: $6.50
- Floppy Bunny Ears crochet hat pattern from Pink Angel Wings Creations on Artfire: $3.00
- Baby Owl Beanie from Studio 7 Designs on Artfire: $4.00
Knit hats are those that look the most like the hats that are selling so well in stores. They are also the hats I often see wandering their natural habitat, downtown, in search of coffee and warmth.
- Kitty Hat Pattern from LadyLilliput on Etsy: $4.00
- Simple Panda Hat Pattern from LadyLilliput on Etsy: $4.00
- Frog Hat Pattern (all sizes) from ROFLhatfactory on Etsy: $8.50
- Giraffe Hat Pattern (all sizes) from ROFLhatfactory on Etsy: $8.50
- Red Squirrel Hat Pattern (all sizes) from ROFLhatfactory on Etsy: $8.50
- Monkey Hat Pattern (all sizes) from ROFLhatfactory on Etsy: $8.50
The following are some inexpensive knitting patterns to make animal hats for the kiddos. While the crochet hats are nice, again it's the knit hats that make up a good portion of the playground crowd.