Katy Perry's antics are somehow always adorable, whether she's hamming it up with Elmo or having dessert with Snoop Dogg. If you are planning on going as a famous face this Halloween, Katy Perry guarantees a night of mischief and fun.[2011 Popular Halloween Costumes]
1. Pin-up Style Perry
The most instantly recognizable Katy Perry look is the pin-up diva. A little burlesque and more than a tad naughty, it is a fun incarnation of Katy Perry that is fun to play at parties.
- Put together a short-sleeve button-down shirt with a pair of shorts for an easy Americana pin-up. Tie the shirt at your chest.
- For bonus points, get your hands on a one-piece jumper (check a thrift store first!). Cinch it at the waist with a belt of contrasting color. Button-down jumpers or something with a sweetheart neckline works best.
- Short hair softly curled at the ends.
2. The Girls
A Katy Perry costume can be done without the exploding neckline, but what fun is that? If you got the girls for the job, put them on display, high and mighty. Use a push-up bra, but also take some precautions with dress tape to avoid a possible wardrobe malfunction.
Some of us (ahem) weren't blessed with Perry-proportioned bazongas. You can try some breast enhancers (a.k.a. 'chicken cutlets') or go old-school with some tissue in the ol' bra. For a hilarious costume addition, try strapping on a fake chest before you get dressed.
3. High Waist Bottom, Heart-Shaped Top
Aside from all of Katy Perry's looks, you can follow this simple formula to conjure a Perry costume that will translate instantly.
- Grab a high-waisted skirt, preferably something of a tight or pencil-skirt cut.
- Sweetheart necklines are synonymous with Katy Perry. Pair it with a heart-shaped top, something with spaghetti straps or a halter-style top will work best.
- Nail it with a top or skirt that is polka-dot or boldly striped.
4. Fun Sunglasses
Heart-shaped sunglasses will work to make your Katy Perry costume recognizable. Don't have a pair? Substitute them with some plastic 80's frames in neon colors, or white frames of any type.
5. Dramatic Headband
A flowered headband characterized Katy's pin-up girl look. Instead of just flowers, try to add something fun that will maintain the theme of your costume. For example, if you are a Vegas Perry, hot-glue some dice on that bad boy. Get creative, this is a great way to top the costume and bring it all together.
If you don't have a headband, try this easy flower barrette to get the same effect:
6. Pick a Hair Color, You Can't Go Wrong
Back in the olden days (okay, around 2009), going as Katy Perry meant sporting a crop of black hair, long or short. This Halloween, you can easily be the pop superstar with a head of blue, pink or purple, even a tame shade of yellow will suffice.
Style: While Katy used to have long hair, the costume will be more recognizable with a short, curled 40's 'do as seen in her latest videos and on the red carpets this year. Wild colors can work with the pin-up look, but black is more reminiscent of the pin-up costume.
7. The Forbidden Elmo
Not too long ago (I'll always remember it like it was yesterday), Katy Perry participated in a segment on Sesame Street that was famously cut from the final broadcast. Her degree of cleavage (see The Girls, above) apparently upset the producers, though Elmo, her partner in the scene, didn't seem to mind.
To really get a few laughs out of your version of Katy, I highly suggest toting an Elmo to the Halloween party. The new Rock n'Roll Elmo seems more than appropriate!
8. Dress Up the Butt
A few of Katy's jumper-style outfits included large appliques (or pockets, I'm not sure which) on the backside. These shapes helped to convey the theme of her outfit. Add hearts, fruit or other simple symbols to the booty of your jumper to get the look.
9. Cut-Out Gown
One Katy Perry look that is really easy to simulate is the fun Japanese-style dress she wore to the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards. Grab a slinky gown from your local thrift store to make this a cheap costume.
- Cut out almond-shaped pieces of the dress.
- Get trim that accentuates some of the colors in the dress. Use rick-rack, flowered ribbon, bows, anything large enough to cover the edges of your cuts to frame each hole in the dress. You can find some really wild trim at your local craft store.
- Hot-glue or sew trim along the edges of each cut.
- Take care while sewing the trim. Some dress fabrics, like satin, can be tricky. Take your time and don't pull the thread too tight.
- Trim up other parts of the dress to tie up the look.
10. Keep the Heels Hot & High
No matter what the rest of your costume looks like, there is one golden rule for Katy Perry footwear: make it tall! Any fabulous pair of heels will dress up a Katy Perry costume, as long as they are in good repair and guarantee to make you tower over your date.
If you aren't comfortable in heels, strappy sandals could work as a substitute.