Early Star Trek uniforms for men were simple.
- Insignia- The Star Fleet patch on the front of the uniform is vital. Without it you'll just look like some guy in his pajamas. Use this stencil to spray paint or stitch your design into gold fabric, then apply the fabric as a patch.
- The Shirt - You'll want to find a white long sleeved t-shirt. Use cheap RIT or Dylon dye to get it the right gold, blue or red color, depending on who you are portraying. Underneath this shirt, wear a black t-shirt that has a smaller collar than the dyed shirt.
- Rank Braids: These are the goofy looking gold ric-rac at the ends of the uniform sleeves. You can get gold ric-rac in the ribbon section of any craft store. You'll need three on each arm if you're a captain, but lesser officers have two or one.
- The Pants and Shoes - Black slacks will work fine.
It's hard to imagine women actually getting work done in their early Starfleet uniforms.
- The Dress - The female uniform is little more than a low-cut version of the man's shirt. You can order this pattern for a female uniform, but you could save some time and money by converting an existing dress into a uniform.
Cut the bottom off of a plain, well-fitting dress that doesn't have any embellishments like beads or embroidery. Make it as short as you dare. Use the extra fabric to then make matching long sleeves for your uniform.
- The Boots - Knee-high black boots are a must. Why these are functional to the work of a communications specialist or on-board doctor, I'll never know.