Rules and Voting
The 2013 Readers' Choice Awards on About.com
DIY Fashion 2013 Readers' Choice Awards Rules and Voting Information ---
- Nominate within the Category Please make sure you are nominating in the right category, for example, a jewelry maker for Favorite Jewelry Designer. Nominations made in the incorrect category make the Finalist consideration process a lot longer.
- Vote Once per Day. Each user can vote once per day for the best of the best. Once a day allows enthusiastic voters to keep up on the awards without stuffing the ballot box.
- Don't Cheat. With our new voting system, it is going to much more difficult for over-enthusiastic voters to cheat the system. However, some voters may still be inspired to try. Please consider that each nomination is reviewed by myself, and that any suspicious nomination or voting activity can easily be spotted.
- No Fake Email Addresses. When you make up a fake email address, or more that one, it isn't hard to spot. Please don't waste your time by creating a slew of false user names in order to throw in more votes.
2012 Readers' Choice Awards: Details and Rules
- Nominations will begin on January 14, 2013 and end on February 11, 2013.
- Finalists are chosen based on popularity, as long as they meet the eligibility requirements listed in each category.
- Up to five finalists in each category will be announced on February 19.
- Voting will begin on February 19, 2013 and continue through March 19, 2013. Readers can vote once each day in each award category.
- Winners will be announced on March 27th, 2013. There's no cash award - just the satisfaction that comes with officially being recognized as the best of the best by the readers of one of the largest online networks, About.com.
- You are welcome to nominate and promote your own book, website, blog, game, or website!
Credible Voting in 2013
As some of you loyal readers may have noticed, I did not participate in the Readers' Choice Awards on About.com last year. That's because there were some issues with the voting system in 2011. There was a coding loophole that allowed people to vote many times, and this made for many long nights as I sorted out the nominations and votes.
I was not happy with the way the voting went, and many readers felt the same. It was unfair that some people could click through all night, repeatedly stuffing the ballot box. Behind the scenes, I was sorting it out, but the process left the credibility of the awards in question. I decided to wait until we had a proven, dependable system for collecting votes.
I sat out of the Readers' Choice Awards last year; instead turning to my fellow About.com Guides to be my sweet, sweet guinea pigs in 2012. They were happy to report that the voting process was much more secure and fair.
For 2013, the voting script will allow only one vote per user per award category per day. Each voter will need to be tied to a Facebook, email or About.com user account. Email account users will need to type in a Captcha before voting. So listen-up, would-be cheaters: it's not just a robot that counts your votes. We are able to go through them to prove where they came from and whether or not they are valid.
With these additional security steps, I am confident that the voting process has finally met your standards and mine. I'm glad that I took last year off in favor of ensuring that the voting process was fixed. Happy nominating. I am eager to see who you, the readers, vote as the Best of 2013!
Voting Now Open!
- Best Craft Magazine
- Best Online Handmade Marketplace
- Best Craft Store
- Best Fashion Blog
- Favorite Handmade Jewelry Designer
- Favorite Handmade Clothing Designer
More information on the Readers Choice Awards can be found at awards.about.com